Sunday, 19 August 2012

A low point

I've looked at my garden and I've looked at other gardener's plots and mine is rubbish.

Everything in mine seems to be half the size and half as vigorous as other people's, so I think it is in need of something. Something that will put some goodness back into the soil (somebody who knows about gardening would help too, although MGG does his best).

I've bought a big bag of organic chicken manure, and ooh it smells lovely! Really, it does! If I put some of that in when I plant things and it will work miracles.

I did think of buying a load of manure, but the amount of hard work it takes to get it on to the plot makes my muscles ache just thinking of it.

So the way forward (if I go forward at all) is chicken shit and blood fish and bone liberally applied.

The only thing that worries me is that sometimes, in the books I've read, it says don't plant this or that in freshly manured ground, but I can never remember what it is I am not supposed to plant.

And when does the lime come in? I know it is used in gardening, but I don't know when or on what.

And if you put too much manure on, do you get lots of leaves and not much fruit or veg?  Obviously if you are growing leaves, cabbage for example, then that is a good thing but if you are growing beans, you want more bean than leaf.

Its too confusing and I feel I just don't know enough to garden properly.

Not happy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anne. We bought 4 tonnes of manure last year. It took three hours for three of us to wheel it all from the track outside our plot (where the tractor dumped it) onto a pile in our plot. We've still got about half of it, so those three hours may have been a good investment. Our one-size-fits-all policy was: in Autumn, manure a patch of ground, dig it in well, then cover it with plastic and let it get broken down over winter. In Spring, away you go, topping up with some chicken pellets or liquid feed if needed.

    Re lime: we used this on prospective brassica patches. A week or so before planting out your cabbages etc, lime the patch liberally- you want the ph to get up to around 6.5. Really acidic soil is no good for brassicas. Liming will also help guard against clubroot, which did for our brassicas last year. Phew, hope that helps a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee, advice taken on board with thanks.
    I can buy manure by the barrow load from our trading hut. I'll start small, easier on the muscles

    ReplyDelete