Friday, 24 August 2012

Orchid Phalaenopsis



Not strictly gardening and nothing to do with the allotment, but a success story instead of groans.

This orchid was given me as a birthday present two years ago, with two flower stalks. It sat, mummified, in a corner for two years after I, in my ignorance, cut off the original flower stalks too low down. 

I was thinking about throwing it out, but I couldn't bring myself to do it, so I washed the dust off the leaves, and started to feed it with some orchid feed I found in the supermarket.  It immediately started to grow lots of aerial roots, which is apparently the sign of a happy Phalaenopsis. 

When I went to the Gateshead Flower Show there was an Orchid growers stall where I got some very good advice, some orchid potting medium and a bigger pot. I stuffed as many of the aerial roots into the pot when I potted it on, and wow! 

Doesn't it look good!


No comments:

Post a Comment