Wednesday, 26 September 2012

post rain survey

Back to what seems to be the norm for my plot!


The ditches are full but hopefully the raised beds are drier.
But the winds have played around with various structures. 

                                                                                                Easily remedied though.
 I took out the little apple tree.  I just pushed and pulled it a bit and it came out like a rotten tooth.  It didn't have much in the way of a root ball.  Probably why it was a little apple tree.
a
 I'm thinking about taking all the trees out and getting a family apple tree (one stem with three different varieties grafted on)  Even excluding this year's missing harvest, which to be fair seems to have been the same across the country, they have never produced well and never the kind of apple that I wanted to either eat raw or cooked.  Last year there was a lot of small apples but they don't store well and didn't taste particularly good except when eaten straight off the tree.  I have found a family tree at Blackmoor Nurseries which looks like it might be hardy enough for this part of the world.  I know Discovery will work, because there are some growing successfully on this site, but I don't know about the other two varieties, James Grieve and Sunset.
I suppose I can only try.

Picked a punnet of ready-washed raspberries.  I don't think there will be many more this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment