Thursday, 22 November 2012

overwintering peppers

My peppers were nice this year but not very prolific.  Because there is such a short growing season when starting them from seed, I'm going to try to overwinter the plants.

I cut my two sweet pepper and one cayenne pepper down to about 6 inches (15cms), took them out of their pots and trimmed the rootball a bit.  I then put them in smaller pots with fresh compost, a quick water to wash the compost around the roots, and put them on an upstairs, south-facing window sill.  Except for the odd splash of water, I can probably forget about them until spring.  Instructions for the above were got from a chilli website, but I don't see why it wouldn't apply to sweet peppers too. We will find out come spring.
Hopefully they should overwinter successfully and get going sooner next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment