Thursday, 21 February 2013

onions, bog plants and parakeets.


Two rows of white onions (Setton) and two rows of red onions (Red Baron). Both from Poundland.    There were a lot more red onions in the 300g packet than in the white onions so the surplus got planted into various gaps- some beside the winter onions and some beside the garlic. I put fleece over to hide them from the birds.

I notice the garlic is just starting to push through, I was beginning to think I had buried them too deeply, or that they had given up the ghost.
I moved some of the bottle edging about and separated a new bed from the rain garden hollow. Rain garden is a bit of a silly name for what is essentially a muddy patch. I am going to try digging a depression on both sides of the path and leaving it to collect water.  I am going to put plants in though, to try and make it look nice.  Most of the rain gardens on the internet use planting that likes dry ground but that can tolerate the occasional flooding.  But for mine I think I might go for planting that likes wet ground but can tolerate the occasional dry spell, bog and marginal plants might work well.  It would be just like it that I will get adapted to a wet garden and we will have six months of drought, but I suppose I can water it if the planting looks like drying out too much.
There are some pretty daisies in the wild flower bed, which have flowered all the way through the wet autumn and winter, so I have transplanted a few to the edges of the new rain hollow on the other side of the path.

I will put in anything that will grow as long as it looks good, even buttercups! I have a couple of spare astilbe plants in the front garden which might work as they like damp conditions.  Some irises might be good too.

Heard the resident parakeets, but didn't see them this time.  Saw a pair of them last week flying over my plot, but I'll never be quick enough to get a photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment