Tuesday, 2 July 2013

flowers on the runner beans

I had three things to do today, no, 4 things...
1. I shredded some paper and 
2. took it to the plot and spread it under the strawberries to keep them off the soil. Recycling in action!
3. Then I cut up the big polythene bag the newest mattress came wrapped in (I just knew it would be useful some time) into a windbreak for the squash bed. I hope it will help keep them a bit protected from the pretty cool wind, but I only had enough for one bed so the cukes are having to tough it out unless I can find some more plastic.
4. strimmed the paths to the front as we are getting inspected this week.  I've put some pots of antirrhinums out the front but I can't persuade them to flower in time.  Oh well...
 The sick apple tree is looking sicker...
 But the old trees have loads of apples.  I'm waiting for the June drop, which might be a July drop this year, and then I am going to be strict and thin them to one apple per node.  I will, I will....
 There are flowers on the runners and I picked the first (slim) bunch of sweet peas.
I picked a few more strawberries, dug up some potatoes, but then it started to rain very purposefully, so I came home.


No comments:

Post a Comment