Sunday, 14 July 2013

Picking, picking...

Picked loads of mangetout, I'm sure there weren't any there last time I looked, but today there are tons of over-the-hill mangetout.  I cooked them all because I am not sure what size is the best, and some were stringy, some were not.  I now have a better idea of which ones to put straight on the compost heap.

I also had the first peas, but I didn't cook those, they are too nice raw to spoil by cooking them.

Also picked a load of broad beans.  I've got three kinds ready now, but I think of all I like the red epicure best, although the others are good too. There is a bed of red epicure by itself so I think I will leave that bed for seeds for next year as we are getting a bit fed up with eating broad beans and there are still plenty to come in the main bed. The next lot I pick will go in the freezer.

I spotted a bean on the runners today, I would've taken a picture but the camera ran out of battery.  It will still be there tomorrow.

Picked more strawberries and I think they taste better since I gave them a seaweed feed. Could be wishful thinking though...

The trouble with all this harvesting is that I don't have time or energy to do much weeding, so it is getting away from me a bit, as it does every year, but this is the first time I have realised why it happens.  I will have to be more disciplined and not faff about so much.

Today we had the first completely home-grown dinner (except the chicken). Potatoes, turnip, mangetout, broad beans, and strawberries for afters.  I have to admit that I didn't grow the Bisto gravy, the meringue nests or the ice cream, but the rest was all mine.

A huge bunch of sweet peas, this is just half...
And the front room window has been opened for a third time...
And the results of yesterday's cooking...
There were two jars but one was approved and adopted by visiting family.

No comments:

Post a Comment