Monday, 26 August 2013

onions

Is this a first in living memory? - A hot and sunny bank holiday? And boy was it hot!
I just had to get outside after two gloomy days stuck in the house, but it was too hot to do anything so I sat in the shade and tidied the onions.
They are looking dry enough to take home now, I had rigged up the poly cloche over the onion drying rack and it has kept off the worst of the last two days rain.  Some of them will need to be used soon, but it looks like quite a lot of them should keep well.  I will have to bring the pram to take them home soon.
The Bedfordshire Champion that I grew from seed are turning their tops over now and are quite a pretty onion, with a squat, flattened base and a pretty pink skin. I can easily tell the difference between those and the Sturon, which are more rounded with a yellowy brown skin. The red onions (red baron) have done quite well this year too, I don't know if it because is a different variety (I have grown Kamen in the past and normally they are almost a total loss), or the weather, but they have liked the dry warmth this summer.
Those small onions are the ones that I planted too close to the rhubarb, I will use them whole in a casserole. Or I could try the ones from seed as sets next year.

I picked another bunch of sweet peas, but they are definitely going downhill.  The lower leaves are covered in mildew and the flowers have suffered from the attentions of greenfly and heavy rain.


Picked some courgettes and more cucumbers, but left the beans to grow a bit more.

The cabbage seedlings which have been struggling at four leaves, are looking better after a half-strength feed and being moved into the shade, they've got two more leaves in just a few days. They definitely don't like warmth.

The phacelia seeds are sprouting already.  On the bed where I sowed in lines it is clear to see, but the bed which I broadcast, has millions of little seed leaves coming up.
 I'm pretty sure I didn't sow that many phacelia seeds, so they must be all the weed seeds coming out of the old compost.  I will wait until they get bigger and turn them into the soil before they flower.

The leeks have recovered from the shock of having their leaves and roots snipped...
 and are growing again.  There is hardly any difference between the snipped and unsnipped (unsnipped have pink arrows) and they all except one (ringed in yellow) seem to be flourishing. (Get the fancy editing! thanks, Lee for that link!)The purpose of  trimming the roots is supposed to stimulate new root growth, but trimming the leaves, as far as I can see, only helps to easily tell whether they are growing again.

The strawberries I trimmed a week or two ago, have decided not to take the hint, and have started putting out more runners.  But I don't want them yet, so cruelly, I cut them off again.

I promise to remember the camera on my next visit (Just did!)

No comments:

Post a Comment