Sunday, 4 August 2013

Potatoes all out

Found some beetroot hiding amongst the weeds, chioggia.

I tried to strip the sweet pea flowers as they are starting to make pods, but there was just too many, and I gave up in the end when my fingers got cramp in the scissors. I also went round and dead-headed the cosmos, they are starting to go down now, and the sweet william are starting to come up.

I dug out the rest of the potatoes out of the 4 x 4 raised bed and got a good lot with some whoppers in amongst.

There was a seriously heavy bucket full, too many to carry home so I will have to bring the pram next time. I've got a fair few onions to carry home too.  The red onions have been reasonably successful this year, a lot have gone to seed, but a lot haven't.

Yesterday I made a lovely fennel and courgette soup out of these 

and a fennel that had bolted in the warm weather.  I didn't want to throw it away after gazing at it admiringly for so long, so I took off the sideshoots (the central stalk was like iron), chopped them and cooked the soup.  It turned out to be too fibrous, even after blending, there was little bits which didn't soften down, so I had to put the soup through a sieve to get rid of the bits. But after all that it was very tasty indeed, I do like that aniseedy flavour, and I will definitely make it again.  Tomorrow in fact, as I picked this courgette monster
from the free shelf by the gate this afternoon, and I just happen to have another bolted fennel.
I can use some of the courgette in the soup, double quantities this time, and try dehydrating the rest for future use in curries and stews.

I picked a load of runner beans and am hawking them around the family for takers.  I could freeze them but I'm not really impressed by frozen runner beans, and I don't fancy dehydrated runners in stews etc., I'd much rather keep them as a seasonal treat.

I sieved the comfrey tea, phew, what a pong! and fed the squashes and cucumbers.  A miracle! there is a cucumber longer than an inch on the La Diva.

2 comments:

  1. I like the sound of fennel and courgette soup. Courgette definitely needs an additional flavour in soup or puree I reckon. Have you tried pixlr express for quickly editing pics online? It's free, quick and v easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had a little play with pixlr and it looks good, it will perhaps save me being so frustrated with blogger's and picasa's shortcomings.
      Making more soup as I type.

      Delete