Thursday, 19 September 2013

garlic

I was sorting out the best garlic cloves for planting and I naturally went for the largest bulbs. (Apparently you choose the largest garlic cloves for growing, but when it comes to onion sets, you choose the smallest. There is an explanation for this, but I can't remember what it is.)  The biggest bulbs had the biggest cloves around the outside and smaller ones in a row around the middle next to the stalk.
But I was surprised to find that some of the small bulbs had just as large cloves as the big ones, but they only had one circle of cloves around the stalk. So it ended up that I had more than enough.
I put the small ones in to be used for cooking and planted up the others in modules
I think I might be being a bit impatient and am putting them in too soon, but I have plenty left and could put some more in later in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment