Sunday, 6 October 2013

more green tomato chutney

Nearly all the green tomatoes have been used up, only a few left.  Another batch of chutney complete, Nigel Slater's Mixed Tomato Chutney, and very nice it is too, although it has to mature to be properly appreciated.
There was half a jar left over so I warmed it and served it over pork loin grilled in the George, with mashed pumpkin, sweet corn, and grilled tomatoes.  It was very good indeed.  I was a bit wary of the pumpkin as I had previously only ever tasted them in a revoltingly sweet  pie.  I cut the little pumpkins in halves and roasted them for half an hour, scraped out the flesh and mashed it with salt and pepper. It would have been nice to have served it in the pumpkin shells, but I didn't think of that until it was too late. Doh! It was still quite sweet, but went well with the pickle. It had much more flavour than I expected, most squash I have had before tastes mostly of what it is flavoured with, but this definitely had a flavour of its own.

I'm going to have to do something urgently about the jam storage shelf.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete