Wednesday, 22 January 2014

black fingernail season started again

Yes, its out with the nail-brush as it is seed sowing and potting time.

I pricked out the onion seedlings into modules, not so many this year as I have decided to use some sets and some seeds. They hadn't got their second leaf yet, but I thought that it wouldn't do any harm to move them on, as long as I was careful.
How many of these will thrive I don't know because a few times, when levering the soil up to gently remove the seedling, I heard/felt that ominous tiny snap which usually indicates a broken stem or root.  Not too worrying if it is a root as they seem to recover from that, but a snapped stem is often terminal.

About four days ago I spread the sweet pea seeds saved from last year on some damp newspaper and kitchen towel, because I have never saved seed before and wasn't sure how viable they would be.
Lots of them have developed little sprouts, so it looks like they will be worth the trouble of potting them up.
I took out the ones with the biggest shoots and potted them up the same as last year. Five seeds in each 5inch pot, a mix of multi-purpose compost and vermiculite
Some of them hadn't germinated, but it is only 4 days since I started them chitting, so I will leave them to see if they grow a bit more. I don't really need any more plants, I think 14 pots of 5 are probably enough for my purposes, but I can't bear to throw them out.
I don't know what kind of flower they will produce because they cross-pollinate each other quite happily, but it will be interesting to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment