Monday, 10 March 2014

Sowing seeds and pricking out

Beetroot (Boltardy) in modules, leeks (Musselburgh) in 3" pots for the plant scheme.

For myself
  • Celeriac (Monarch) in modules on a windowsill, 
  • Broccoli (sprouting) Early Purple sown in a half seed tray and put straight outside. 
  • Sowed Red Hot Poker, Hollyhock, Sunflowers all in 5" pots

Tomatoes and sweet peppers all pricked out into module trays.



My leeks have come up nicely, I sprinkled whole packets on each 5" pot.

On the left Autumn Mammoth (much  fewer seeds in the packet) and Autumn Giant, looking a bit overcrowded. Good germination rates on all.

The broad bean trays have gone out into the garden for the daytime. I will take them to the plot soon and they can sit in the cold frame for a while.

It was a lovely day and even though I am in the early stages of some kind of virus, I went to the plot.

I constructed the cloche tunnel which I bought at Lidl last year and didn't need because it was such a warm summer.

And it is surprisingly big!  As I had constructed it, I thought it would be a good idea to put something to grow in it.  So I sowed short rows of Cylindra and Chioggia beetroot inside as it is a little early for open sowing and the cloche might bring them on a bit quicker.


The onions seem undisturbed by the frosts and are sprouting away.

No comments:

Post a Comment