Thursday, 20 March 2014

tiller try-out!

MGG very kindly allowed me to have a go of his latest toy, a Mantis tiller which has been on my wish list for a while.

And which is now crossed off!
No, it is not for me, I don't have the required muscle power to enjoy using it or even to feel that I was in control of this beast.  The saying "tiger by the tail..." came to mind.

It does do an excellent job, though.  Three beds looking beautiful in a couple of hours.

proposed asparagus bed


 It is almost a shame to spoil them by putting in some potatoes.

I have to admit that I only did some of the work involved,  MGG did the bulk of the work and what a good job he did, but that was enough of a taster to put me off completely.  Power tools and I don't get on and I should have remembered that.
The session finished with me managing to break it, so I don't think I will be allowed on it again anyway!


The soil in the above photo of the newest installation in the plot is an example of the untilled soil.

The pond is still in the making, it is looking a bit like a babybath sunk in the soil at the moment, but some plants around will soften the edges.

2 comments:

  1. I love my Tiller but I do worry about it chopping up our worms as I also love worms. I am hoping to rotavate our veg plot this weekend..The Gardeners on TV must use one as their soil always looks perfect. Take care now. Marion x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It scares me to death! and then it broke so I don't think I will be allowed on it again. True, it did chop up a lot of worms.

    ReplyDelete