Monday, 26 May 2014

onion seedlings planted at last

A lovely day at last after a string of cold and wet days. And its a bank holiday too!

Bowled the pram to the plot this morning, with the runner bean plants and a big bag of shredded paper.

Weeded and spread the shredded paper under the strawberries. I was a bit concerned that I had been too quick to put the netting over them which might have been hindered the work of the pollinating insects, but there is plenty of fruit developing, so they have obviously managed to find their way in.

By moving the grasses that I "acquired" from Moorbank last year, and giving some of them away to a neighbour, I managed to find places for the onion seedlings that have been growing modules in the back garden.  They were really desperate to be moved on, lots of roots coming out the bottom. Anyway, they are settled now.

I added a few more canes to the runner bean frame, so it is now ready to receive the bean plants, but I didn't have the energy or time to do them today. (sorry no pix, will get some tomorrow)

The rust on the garlic is quite bad now, and as far as I can tell there isn't much that can be done about it.  I started to cut a few of the leaves off, but it is so widespread I was going to have to remove nearly all the leaves which wouldn't leave much for photosynthesis.   I gave it a seaweed foliar feed instead, hoping this would give the plants strength to resist the rust.







No comments:

Post a Comment