Monday, 18 August 2014

Apple tree chopped

Where was I up to?   Oh yes, apple trees....



Or, more accurately, apple tree....

Couldn't sleep after 6:30 this morning, so I was up at 7 o'clock and down to the plot by 8 o'clock.

After a bit of shoving soil about, a lot of digging, forking and millering, an L-shaped bed has evolved. The sherry bottles have proved their usefulness yet again.



The two remaining gooseberry bushes were too close together, so I shifted one a couple of feet, gave it some compost and FB&B.  I have now got plenty of room for the jostaberry bushes, although they might have to be in partial shade.  The long thin bed might do for something that likes cool and damp such as celeriac, or a shrub.

I went back this afternoon and planted the jostaberries.

Lifted a row of desiree potatoes.  Not an amazing crop, but as that bed had been under water for a while in the spring I wasn't expecting too much.  They seem quite clean on first inspection and surprisingly I only speared two with the fork while unearthing them. Result!

No comments:

Post a Comment