Sunday, 19 October 2014

garlic and winter onions

I used garlic from this year's crop for seed for next year.  I know, I know, I said I was going to get some new but I have so many garlic cloves and they are starting to sprout already...


They have been planted next to the parsnips where the dwarf beans were.

I planted some of the winter onions..


They have good roots on them..


But it was getting late and I had meatballs and a tomato and mushroom sauce to cook for tea..


So I planted the biggest ones and left the others for another day.

I have planted them deeper than is usually recommended to try to discourage the birds from pulling them out. They tend to push themselves upwards as their roots develop, anyway.  I might fleece them as the nights get colder.

It certainly isn't cold yet though, it was up to 19C today and was only 11C overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment