Monday, 17 November 2014

November wet and mild so far

It rained pretty solidly all night, so it was too wet to do anything much.

I hoed around the leeks and winter onions to keep them tidy.  I'm forever being reminded that onions don't like weeds as competition. The onions are still a bit grass-like, but leeks are rather fine looking and the green manure (winter mix from SowSeeds, if I recall correctly) has sprouted away.


I'm very tempted to have at them with the strimmer, but I'm told they will die back with the frosts (if there is any, it has been very mild for November)


I hope there will be frosts, as I have dug up the rhubarb to expose its roots to the frosts, which seems cruel but is apparently the thing to do.  My Dad used to do it, but I have to admit that this is the first time I have ever remembered to do it at the proper time of year.
(The black polythene is supposedly keeping some burnable rubbish dry until the weather dries up a bit and I can have another fire.)

The sweet clover I supposedly broadcast (not very well, I now see) hasn't made much growth, I'm not sure how big it is supposed to get, but I would've thought bigger than that.

But there are signs of the mild autumn


Flowers on the poached egg plants, also the phacelia is still flowering in another part of the plot,


And lots of buds and even a new leaf on the whitecurrant bush.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for saying what to do with Rhubarb. Ours are only one year old. We haven't had much luck keeping Rhubarb alive through the winter in our garden. I will check them tomorrow. Marion x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you have to do it every year, as it must set it back a bit. If yours has only been in a year, why not just put some compost or manure around it for the winter (that's what Monty says)

    ReplyDelete