Saturday, 17 October 2015

planting onions and garlic

The winter onions and the garlic are planted...



The layout is onion seedlings in the foreground, onion sets in the middle and 20 cloves of garlic beyond the plank at the far end.

I saved the three biggest garlic bulbs from the last crop, and picked the biggest cloves from them...



They were nice fat ones this year.  I could have sown more but we don't need very much garlic.

I took down the sunflowers, it was like felling trees!  I cut the heads off and left them for the birds to peck and the stems went in the bonfire pile under cover. I noticed that the sickly looking ones I was concerned about earlier, had much poorer root development than the ones at the other end. This must be why they started to die back much sooner than the others, but I don't know why that happened. I will have to monitor that area a bit more closely.

I checked the sweetcorn and there are about ten lovely fat cobs, but so far, any that I have opened look fully pollinated, but pale, pale yellow with small kernels.  They just haven't ripened, and I think it is probably too cold now. I will leave them as long as I can bear it.

Some apples were ripe on my tree and some proper sized ones this year instead of the tinsy ones I usually get. I took half a bucket full home and lots more to come if I want them.

Observant readers might have noticed that I didn't stop writing my diary after all....

plotplan 18.10.15



No comments:

Post a Comment