Saturday, 4 June 2016

Well, back from my little holiday in the Tyne valley...


(where the sun did shine a couple of times and here's the photo to prove it.)

...to find my french beans in a sorry state...



I have watered and fed them, but I think the continuing chill may have done for them.   The sweet corn is showing similar distress, looking quite yellow...


Plus a major invasion of slugs on the runner beans which has eaten most of the growing tips.  Hopefully they will recover by growing more side shoots but means the start of bean production will be delayed.

I'm so glad I didn't plant out the courgettes and cucumbers before I went away, they would definitely have died outside.  As it is, two La Diva and one Zucchini plant succumbed to what ever mystery ailment affects squash-type plants.

On the bright side the winter onions seem to have doubled in size in a week and I will now start using them in the kitchen.

The broad beans have lots of flowers and are getting taller...



And a pea pod!


Since Suttons have failed to come up with my order of new connectors for the fruit cage, I have had to improvise...


...not as smart, but will probably work just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment