Sunday, 12 March 2017

 The leek seeds decided to come up after all.  I had just about given up on them since they were sown 5 weeks ago.  I think I must have buried them too deep.






























Sadly, I think I have fried the few sweet peas that managed to germinate.  They were in the plastic greenhouse inside the greenhouse and this morning the temperature was in the 40s when I opened it up.  A reminder to check the plants earlier in the day, it only takes a sunny hour first thing in the morning to heat everything up.
I have now re-installed the automatic window opener.  Signs of spring!


Oh well...back to the drawing board...























Down to the plot later to do some weeding and to hopefully burn the ivy that was pulled off the hydrangeas the other day.  It has rained a lot since, so I do wish I had put the bags in the garage to keep dry, but no, laziness struck me.
However, it's amazing what you can do with firelighters and copious quantities of paraffin.

I noticed when weeding around the winter onions that the sets that were started inside in modules, have over-wintered better and look much sturdier than the ones that were planted straight out.  It looks like it might be a good plan for future years.  Of course that is at this stage in early spring, it could be that it will make no difference in the long run.  It will be interesting to see whether it does.


The ones at the far end are the sets started in modules.

No comments:

Post a Comment