Friday, 3 March 2017

The ground is drying up a bit, working it is still pretty heavy going, but I took a chance and sowed some parsnip seeds and half a row of mangetout. It is still quite cold so I have covered them with a cloche. Mmm, not very straight rows , I see now. Still, I don't suppose it makes any difference to plant health.

half row of mangetout, row of parsnip
I took time to do a progress report on the plot's fruit bushes...

pear tree
lots more buds on the pear trees than on the apple trees.

 Lots and lots on the blackcurrants...

blackcurrant

jostaberry
...and quite a few on the jostaberries.  They are ahead of the gooseberries and the red and white currant bushes.

The raspberry canes given to me by a friend are still looking pretty stick-like.

raspberry canes
I hope they won't turn out like yesterday's tayberry!

A look at the other over-wintering crops...
 ...the shallots

shallots
... the garlic

garlic
...the onions, looking a bit bedraggled but persisting...

onions
Leeks...
leeks
..these are last years leeks which I left very late to sow.
In theory, I should be cropping these now, but they aren't even as big as spring onions yet.
 I will leave them and see how they develop.

I might need them, as the seeds I sowed at the beginning of February for this year, haven't shown at all.
The other seed sown at the same time; sweet peas, brussells, celeriac, tomatoes have all germinated.  The cleome seeds were a no-show except for one solitary stem which popped up and promptly fell over when I took the lid off.

tomatoes

celeriac


No comments:

Post a Comment