Sunday, 28 May 2017

I sowed a tray of verbena bonariensis in February and nothing happened so after a month of no-show they got shoved into a corner of the greenhouse and forgotten about.  Then, you guessed it, they started to grow and this is the result!


It always surprises me....

Verbena Bonariensis

...how many plants you can get from one half seed tray of compost!  Another good thing, I used up lots of the small pots that have been cluttering up the garage since last year.

Now to see how many survive the operation.

Saturday, 27 May 2017

The last three days have been really warm, a bit too hot for us northerners, we just aren't used to it.

A day for a little gentle weeding and hoeing in between sessions in the deckchair with a flask of coffee. I tried breaking up concrete-like soil with the azada so I could plant out the sweet corn, but gave myself a headache instead.

Sadly, the one thing that was very easy was pulling out some of the winter onions...



They had hardly any roots and bits of white mould around their bases.  I will take these home, salvage what I can and the rest will go into the rubbish bin rather than the compost heap.


The hugelkultur patch is looking very flowery.  It will look even nicer when all the poppies flower.

Sunday, 21 May 2017

There has been a good bit of rain since my last entry, but even so the bed in which I have chosen to put the cleome plants was still quite dry only an inch or two down.


I planted out the climbing beans and that bed was nice and damp because I had gone over it with the soil-miller just last week.



I just noticed that the winter onions are starting to bolt, especially the sets that I planted straight out.  No flower spikes on the sets that I grew on in modules before planting them out. Interesting!



Friday, 12 May 2017

The weather is warming up at last, but still very dry.

Both old and new pear trees have baby fruit and the apples are full of blossom




The runner and french beans are growing well so time to set up the bean frame.  X men style this year rather than wigwams.


A bit wonky but I don't suppose the beans will notice.  The forecast is for rain the next few days so that should soften the soil so I can plant out more easily.

Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Turned out to be a lovely afternoon after a grey cold morning. So I went to the plot to water everything and to plant out the sweet peas and some of the cleome plants.

There is something wrong with the blackcurrant bush...  Or half of it I should say...


The good half of the bush on the left, the neighbouring whitecurrant on the right.  In the middle? I don't know what is the matter.  Some new leaves and buds looking withered.  I can't tell whether it is recovering or whether it is dying.  I cut off one totally dead branch but I will wait  and see whether this side is coming or going before more surgery.

Planted out the sweet peas, but I spent so much time talking to various passers-by that there was no time for the cleome.  Hopefully there might have been some rain by tomorrow, the soil is baked hard.

Friday, 5 May 2017


Now that my new decking is in and looking lovely, I can assemble the plastic greenhouse for the tomatoes.

So a busy day potting and building.


Tomato plants potted up and tied in ready for summer!



Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Went to water everything, there hasn't been much rain for a few weeks, and I found... ta-ra!



And they were delicious! I ate them raw, crisp and tasting like pea pods.