Saturday, 17 June 2017

The rain of a few days ago has doubled the size of the weeds!

The plants are doing okay too, if a little small because of the earlier lack of rain.


 Plenty of strawberries though, some quite large, the watering I did has paid off.  There is about a kilo there, some for my sister, some for the freezer and some for my tea.


Out of a 9 feet long row of seeds ...2 parsnips!  I should be grateful, it could have been none.


Most of the sweetcorn are growing nicely.  Although that one in the middle looks as if it is not long for this world.


The withering on the blackcurrant bush is spreading so I can rule out frost damage. I read that they need to be watered during dry spells, which I haven't much, so I wonder if that could be the cause. I can't see any mould or mildew or any obvious pests so I have cut the withered branches off in the hopes of stopping whatever it is from spreading any further. The only two stalks left are new wood, which doesn't seem to be affected like the rest (so far) which were all on old wood. The remaining leaves had a lot of aphids so I washed them down with a mild detergent solution.


Lots of flowers on the broad beans.


The first sweet pea, can't make a bunch yet ..


The winter onions that have survived the basal mould have decided its time..


The flowery bit it looking pretty.

In the greenhouse at home...



...the tomatoes are looking promising...except...


...the dreaded Blossom End Rot...just the one so far on the overwintered Marmande tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment